A BURNING ISSUE- CHINA’S DECEMBER 2022 COVID WAVE
Recent media(as in Reuters on Dec 25, 2022) speak a lot about the new type of Omicron viruses spreading massively with 10 lakhs new cases per day in China’s Zhejiang.
Also read: दिनको २ सय रूपैयाँमा होम आइसोलेसन 'केयर' प्याकेज
This particular Coronavirus:
- SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus causing COVID-19.
- SARS-CoV-2, like any other virus, changes with time, a property called a mutation.
- Among many variants through mutation, Omicron is leading the infection in the world in the current scenario.
- Omicron sub-variant BA.5 is causing a massive rate of infection in China.
- This current sub-variant in news media is B .7 (BA.18.104.22.168), which is creating havoc in the lives of people in China.
The signs and symptoms of the disease are similar to other sub-variants of Omicron.
The rates of infections of this sub-variant are found to be higher than the other variants.
Prevention includes the same principles of physical distancing, masking, avoiding crowded areas, complete vaccination with booster doses, and washing hands/use of sanitizers frequently.
Nepal has no reported case of this particular variant of the virus as of today, but strict monitoring and regular genomic analysis of the positive cases found in Nepal are required.
(This is subject to change with new information through research, but holds true until the day it was drafted on December 26, 2022).
Dr. Yagya Prasad Timalsina